Brands and Instagram Boomerang
Make room for another app in your social media collection.
Boomerang is a stand-alone app introduced by Instagram in October that converts groups of photos into high-quality videos. Simply
press a button and Boomerang takes a burst of photos (works with either
portrait or landscape) and collages them together into a high-quality one-second video that plays forward and backward, like a boomerang. While the initial interest in Boomerang has been strong, it’s important for brands to consider the following:
- Easy-to-use and extremely shareable.
- Doesn’t require editing, which keeps production costs low.
- Excellent way to capture one moment and tap into people’s emotions.
- Limited ability for brands wanting to create high-quality content.
- Can’t record longer clips, shorten them, and then loop them.
- No dedicated newsfeed for users to share/post their videos.
Brands Who Are Fans Trying new technology shows audiences that brands are tuned in to the latest trends. Here are two that jumped on board with Boomerang early:
- Manchester United Foundation - The charitable arm of Manchester United Football Club (UK).
- MTV European Music Awards - Karmelina Parouka, VP of international digital production, content and engagement at Viacom Velocity International told Marketing Week: “Partnering with Instagram to launch Boomerang at the 2015 MTV EMAs made absolute sense for our audience, who are early adapters of new technologies and platforms.”
How Brands Can Use Boomerang:
- Promote your products. Example: The Verge
- Show off your brand’s personality. Example: Cosmopolitan
- Hold a fan contest and give a prize for the most engaging Boomerang.
Tell us in the comments your thoughts on Boomerang!