5 Tips on How To Successfully Lead an Event Team
Congratulations—you’ve been chosen to lead your team to victory! Or, at least make sure everyone shows up and crosses the finish line. And we know you’d never abuse the awesome power you’ve been given,
right? But just in case, we’ve come up with five tips that will help you successfully lead your team before and during the event. Follow our advice and as a bonus… your team will still like you when it’s all over. Read on!
- Meet right away and talk about everyone’s expectations for the race.
- Exchange contact info and tell your team the best way to reach you if they have questions or concerns. Remember, communication is a two-way street.
Spend Time Together:
- Hang out with your team socially to strengthen the group bond and get a better sense of the team’s dynamic.
- Go to a sporting event, grab a coffee, or watch an inspirational movie.
- Use a calendar to keep track of deadlines and touch bases with your team regularly so everyone is on the same page.
- Pick a designated spot on race day for the team to meet and handout any materials needed for the race.
- Discuss what everyone wants to accomplish and then work toward that every time you train.
- Remind your team of their goals throughout the race, and help them finish strong.
- Remind yourself often that you’re leading a team, not a country. You have skills, but no one likes a know-it-all.
- Show appreciation for your team’s hard work with a reward, like treating everyone to a post-race meal… or jumping into freezing cold water to show you’re a good sport.
Tell us in the comments how you’ve successfully lead a race team.